Summary: The thyroid gland is a butterfly shaped gland in your neck that controls the way each and every cell in your body uses energy. When your thyroid is not functioning properly, the effects can be noticed in a variety of ways- including in your libido and desire levels. If you are dealing with hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, you might find your libido and sexual desire levels have decreased substantially. Here you can learn about the sexual side effects that thyroid cancer brings.
The thyroid gland is a butterfly shaped gland in your neck that controls the way each and every cell in your body uses energy. When your thyroid is not functioning properly, the effects can be noticed in a variety of ways- including in your libido and desire levels. If you are dealing with hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, you might find your libido and sexual desire levels have decreased substantially.
The top five complaints about thyroid issues affecting both men and women in the bedroom are as follows:
- Painful Sex. The thyroid gland helps to control the levels of moisture produced by varying body tissues. As a woman, if you are experiencing vaginal dryness, this can make intimacy and sexual activity uncomfortable, unsatisfying, or even painful. Lubrication is a must for female sexual pleasure when tissues are severely dry for any reason. If you are suffering from severe vaginal dryness, consider trying a daily moisturizer or special lubrication made to help ease the friction to make intimacy and sexual activity more enjoyable.
- Low T, Low Drive. If your thyroid is not working and you are male, you might be fighting the battle with low testosterone levels, which can decrease your libido. While this hormone is often thought as a “male” hormone, women produce this hormone as well, and can also affect their libido and drive.
- Not feeling it, or too fatigued. Many thyroid issues and diseases, like Grave’s disease which is the most common type of hyperthyroidism, is known to cause very great fatigue. Hypothyroidism is also directly linked to depression, mood disorders, as well as fatigue- which all lead back to sexual dysfunction.
- Early, Late or Never on time. Many men facing thyroid problems find themselves having sudden issues with premature or delayed ejaculation, along with other issues getting and maintaining an erection. These issues can be frustrating for both men and women. Delayed ejaculation happens when a man cannot ejaculate or can only do so after having intercourse for long periods of time. Premature ejaculation, on the other hand, happens when a man ejaculates earlier than desired. The Sexual Medicine Society of North America or SMSNA states that hypothyroidism increases the chance of delayed ejaculation, and hyperthyroidism increases the chance of premature ejaculation.
- Erectile dysfunction. Although the commercials make erectile dysfunction seem like a laughable occurrence, it is anything but for the couple struggling through it. Thyroid problems can also cause a hormonal imbalance, which leave men struggling to get or maintain their erection. This is an extremely common occurrence for those men who deal with hypothyroidism. For those men seeking more holistic healing routes, there are specialized devices made to help to maintain erections, pumps made to help strengthen erections, skin moisturizers that can help rejuvenate tired and sore tissues, and devices solely designed for those men struggling with erectile dysfunction.
While these issues can cause great distress, most all of these problems can be worked with both medicinally and holistically. If you have questions about how to ease some of the symptoms you are experiencing, reach out to your medical care team, or our Reclaiming Intimacy educators to find out the best tips and devices for your situation.